The ENDANGERED SPECIES 2050 INITIATIVE
A word from one of the founders, Carmen Traub
I want to personally thank you for visiting the Endangered Species 2050 Initiative!
I’m so excited that you are here! If you haven’t been made aware of the projections of animal and plant extinction by 2050, you may be shocked. In 2010, this came out in the Huffington Post, and little has improved since:
“Scientists estimate that 150-200 species of plant, insect, bird and mammal become extinct every 24 hours. This is nearly 1,000 times the “natural” or “background” rate and, say many biologists, is greater than anything the world has experienced since the vanishing of the dinosaurs nearly 65m years ago.”
My name is Carmen Traub, and I am the host of Brokenhearted Hollywood; a syndicated TV show I created to help people pursue their dreams without getting crushed by them. It’s been wonderful helping people fulfill their dreams and I don’t ever want to stop helping. But in my private life, the ever-growing burden of my responsibility to do something about the state of our planet and the effect it is having on the animals, and consequently all of us, keeps me awake at night.
My husband has seen me weep for the animals and has supported my initiative to help save entangled birds. Yes, I brought a lot of drama into our home as I began to obsess over the state of the ocean and its effect on the whales, birds, and well, everything else. My husband wanted to help me become more effective in my struggle to do something valid for our planet, and it was he who first saw posts containing predictions about how many animals will become extinct by the year 2050. It was his idea to create the Endangered Species 2050 initiative, and consequently we built the website! I was so excited, because we now had a reachable goal that all of us can obtain: turn the tide of the predictions by 2050! I am so excited that we can save species that are destined to extinction because of man’s activities, and if we all work together, we may even see some come back again, like the corals and specific fauna!
Here is my idea to propel this initiative: If everyone picks just one animal (sea, land or sky) or one plant (sea or land plant) that is critically endangered and makes it their LIFE MISSION to save it from further destruction, I know we will turn the tide together (no pun intended, ocean lovers 🙂 ).
On the right side of this page are two links for you to pick your endangered animal species or your endangered plant species! Once you have made your decision, come back to this site and find out what steps to take next. See you soon! (P.S. We are continually expanding this website, so please come back often. Our 2050 goal is 33 years away, so stick with us and enjoy our journey together 🙂 )
I've picked my favorite endangered species!
Now what do I do?
- TAKE OWNERSHIP OF THAT SPECIES! If you can emotionally bond, and mentally commit to doing whatever you can to save your species, it will help you to make this important endeavor part of your life’s mission. It’s always been our job to take care of the earth and its creatures. Take your job seriously (said with love :)).
- BECOME A SUPER HERO! Your endangered species is literally about to die, and is waiting for a hero to save the day! That is you!
- SEARCH ONLINE FOR A GROUP THAT IS ALREADY HELPING YOUR SPECIES! If a group has already started the mission of saving your species and you like their method, why not start by supporting them. Immediately you will get personal emotional pay-off because you will be helping your species. It the group is asking for money, and you don’t have any to give, then go on to #4.
- START A WEBPAGE OR BLOG OR..... whatever creative way you can think of to bring attention to your species. On your webpage, you can post links to groups that are already in motion that you want to support.
- TAKE ACTION PHYSICALLY! If your endangered species is literally where you live, find out what you can do to help it. Find out what is threatening the species, and discover what needs to be done to stop the damage. From there, you will know what you can do. For example, if you live near a cove where a threatened bird species is known to land and breed, and they are threatened by plastic garbage that they feed to their chicks, you can take action by cleaning up the shores (by yourself, or gather a group).
- LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE. Once you begin to research what is threatening your species, you will see the bigger picture. For example, if your endangered species is a rainforest plant, you may come to realize that the plant is dying because a particular bird that eats it’s seeds and distributes it throughout the forest by leaving its droppings is critically endangered. As you research why the bird is threatened, you may find out that it is because of illegal poaching. THEN, you will want the poaching to stop! And that will lead you to finding out how to motivate governments or other higher powers to take stricter actions against poaching.
- ENJOY THE JOURNEY. Saving vulnerable creatures can be overwhelming. Your heart will begin to swell with concern and compassion, and it can become grievous. But please know that you are not alone, and that you are part of a HUGE team who are carrying the same load of responsibility, care, and concern. Take pleasure in any small thing you can do, and pat yourself on the back for even caring. It’s a big deal, and I thank you.
- GET CREATIVE! This is where you can have lots of fun and use your awesome gifts! Write songs, write poems, make t-shirts, write a book, take eco courses (an awesome and fun environmental camp for eco awareness is www.mountainandsea.org), go on great eco trips to visit your species and make a photo journal, make a youtube show all about your species, make a movie (short or a feature), make a music video, paint/draw and hold an art show on your species (invite me!), create a theatrical play about your species (invite me to that too!), create a fantastic puppet show (invite me!). There are no limits! Your gift is literally one of kind, and only you can express your voice the way you do. We need your personal input to inspire us! I CAN'T WAIT!
THIS SITE IS GROWING!
I have many ideas that I will be executing on this site, so please check back, or get onto my mailing list by clicking on the Contact Carmen button! I can't wait to build the team and find out what you want to do for the Earth and it's animals. The Earth is the zoo, and we are the keepers!
Pick your endangered species from linked sites below, and them come back here to find out what to do next!
The IUCN Redlist of Threatened Species is the worlds most comprehensive and in-depth database of threatened, endangered, and critically endangered species. Look at the FAQ page to quickly learn how to navigate the site to find your favorite endangered creature. (You can also find endangered plants here too, but it's harder to isolate that search.)
PICK YOUR ENDANGERED PLANT
Wikipedia is a great place to start your search for your plant species. The information has been taken from the IUCN Redlist of Threatened Species, but has been simply categorized for your search. Another good website to check out is the U.S. Fish and Wildlife website. (You can also find endangered animal species there as well).
PRACTICING WHAT I TEACH, and doing #3 and #5 right now!
Okay, so in order for me to do #3 (find a group that I love to support) and #5 (do something near to where I live), I'm sharing with you a group that is making a difference near the LOS ANGELES area called Mountain and Sea Adventures. It is an awesome non-profit organization that hosts camps which educate kids and families about marine biology and environmental science. If you want a full-on marine biology experience, they have two options on Catalina Island: A marine biology camp at Emerald bay on Catalina Island, and a Summer Floating Sea Camp on Catalina Island. They have an awesome ship that will take you out onto the water, and into the water snorkeling and exploring our ocean. For a completely different experience, head up to Camp Oaks at Big Bear and have a blast at the Mountain Astro Physics Camp! All camps are booked by families, or schools, or tourism groups. Book your group ASAP, because dates get booked early!
The other way I am fulfilling #3 and #5, is that I am blessed and honored to sit on the board of this incredibly important group! This really has made me feel empowered since I am helping a group that already is making an impact on our environment, and is educating the world on earth care. I'm so excited!!!